Re: head gasket

To: Bryan Vandiver <bryan.vandiver@sun.com>
Subject: Re: head gasket
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 18:58:16 -0500
Cc: Robert Sexson <rsexson@excite.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Bryan Vandiver wrote:

> The first time I rebuilt my 1275, I used 'coppercoat' on one of the
> copper gaskets from MM, and had nothing but problems with oil/water
> leakage.
> I replace it with a new 'fibre' gasket from MM (the one they say they
> use on their own race engines) with no coating at all, and haven't had > a
>problem since.

I too had nothing but problems with copper head gaskets.
Of all the blown or leaky head gaskets (close to a dozen by now) all
have been copper. I am a firm believer in the paper head gaskets too.
My son did blow a paper gasket but that was to to a severe overheat
problem and a temp sensor in the radiator not the head. (stuck t/stat
said the radiator was at normal temp but the head baked to a nice black
color)
Paper blow for a good reason, the copper ones just blow because it's
your daughters car, some one just came to buy the car, you are in the
middle of an interstate hiway on Sunday 3 hours from home, It's midnight
and raining, all of the above.

I never use sealer on head gaskets.
--

Frank Clarici