Another shifting problem

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Another shifting problem
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 17:19:50 -0500
Any ideas on this one?

67 Sprite, 1275/ribcase, it worked fine this morning when Michael G came
by and took it for a ride. I also took it myself to a buddys place to
fit the tonneau cover later this afternoon.
No problems. When we decide to grab a coffee, I put the Sprite in first
and it did not move.
My first impression was a snapped axle, the shifter slid into the first
gear slot but the car didn't move, the clutch felt normal.
I tried second, nothing. This confirmed my broken axle theroy.
So I put it in reverse and the car moved. I also had 3rd and 4th.
We drove to the store in 3rd, when I parked it, I had 1st and second.
When we left, no 1st or 2nd. Back to his shop in 3rd. Playing with the
shifter a bit, I had 1st and 2nd again but when I left, they disappeared
too. Home across the bridge in 3rd and 4th (what a b*tch at he red
lights) If I play with the shifter, I can eventually stick it in first
and it works.

The shifter is not sloppy, it just feels like the gears are not there
but then they come back and it's fine.
I think if I put it in reverse first, then 1st and 2nd seem to magically
reappear. After I shift to 3rd and try to downshift to 2nd, it is not
there.
It has to be something in the shifter or lock out balls.

Why can't something simple ever happen to me? Or maybe it has something
to do with this particular Sprite. I have expierienced some of the
strangest problems on this particular car. I thought it was finished, I
hope I don't have to yank the gearbox!
--

Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ