Re: Brake problem

To: Bill Mantz <bmantz@infi.net>
Subject: Re: Brake problem
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 21:46:41 -0500
Cc: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Bill Mantz wrote:

> I finally got the 71 Midget to run correctly after the enigine and
> tranny rebuild (thanks to the help from the list), now I'm trying to
> make sure it will stop as well. I replaced the handbrke cable because
> the one on it was at the end of adjustment and it still didn't work. The
> new one turned out the same way, end of adjustment but stil doesn't
> work.

Let me guess where the cable came from.
I had one of those, BTDT and added to my learning expierience.
Don't you just love those "file to fit" policies!

Back to the fix....
You will have to use a cable shortener. They are available at any auto
parts store for a couple bucks.
Back to the handbrake lever.
There should be 2 flat head screws screwed into a black square thing,
the black thing should have 3 bolts holding it to the tunnel.
Most of the time, the welded nuts behind the screws come loose.
The best fix is to remove the black thing and disconnect the cable.
Reweld the nuts. You can not get to the nuts once the black thing is
bolted on. This is also a good time to clean and relube the e brake guts
since you will have it out.

--

Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ