Re: Fw: Fw: engine pull...

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fw: Fw: engine pull...
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 07:21:13 +1100
Concrete is great at absorbing uniform loads up to its failure point. It
doesn't
cope with shear or tension very well (esp tension). It crumbles beyond its
failure point.

The problem here is that the load is *not* uniformly distributed but rather
will be *very* localised by a bolt head, metal edge etc. The localised load
may well cause stresses well beyond the failure stress (20kPa for structural
concrete if I recall correctly). A localised crumble will probably cause
internal
tension stresses and the block will crack and break.

If you *must* use concrete blocks, then use a piece of 4x2 between the block
and the car. The point loads will be braodly distributed.

However, I do *not* recommend this - use stands (no liability etc etc)

Mike