Re: engine on ebay (last message!)

To: Charles Christ <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: engine on ebay (last message!)
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 10:12:54 -0800
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Since I started this thread, I've got to finish this off..

I love how a lot of people here just jump to conclusions, without even
knowing a full story on something....
I don't know how good the rebuild was, but if anyone was interested they
could call teh seller and get the real scoop. Instead, a lot of people
just jump to the conclusion that wasn't done 'right', however, they then
go on to say how 'cheaply' they  rebuilt their own engine (kind of
ironic). The place that was selling it, I belive also advertises rebuilt
engines on the MG classifieds list. Also the ad mentioned all the parts
replaced, and offered a 6-month warranty.
The only reason I mentioned it, was because, a few 'mechanicallyd
challenged' listers had been asking about the cost of having their
engines 'professionally' rebuilt, and were getting quotes as high as $3
to $4 K, and this may have been a very good alternative for them,
especailly if they were local to the seller.
For those of you who think they can do a 'good' rebuild for under $700,
more power to you, however, I would never think of putting one of your
rebuilds in my car. One thing I have learned over and over again in
life, is that if you want something done right, you can't take short
cuts, because it always comes back to bite you later. No matter how good
your pistons look, there is almost always 'run-out' or scoring in the
cylinders, and the only was to get rid of it is to bore, and replace the
pistions.
I spent at least $1000 rebuilding my engine, doing the assembly work
myself, and I don't see how anyone can do a proper rebuild for less than
$850 without taking some short cuts.
I was just trying to share some info here that may be of some benefit to
some listers.
Oh well....

 - Bryan Vandiver
San jose, CA