RE: 3rd Gear

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 3rd Gear
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 16:32:16 -0500
Cc: Pat <southoff@Colorado.EDU>
Hi Trisha,

I don't know if yoy have a smooth case or rib case, but this would apply to
either.

Interesting question.  3rd gear is always in motion on the output shaft as
is 2nd gear.  It may not be functioning as delivering engine power to the
year wheels, but is always engaged with the laygear.  If it has a chipped
gear, it will almost certainly have a clicking sound, from light to very
pronouced.  If it has a broken off tooth, it will most likely jam up the
gear box so nothing will turn.  Why not just gingerly try 3rd gear again in
the car to see what happens.  If it's shot, no further damage will likely
occur, if it's still OK, it is just that, OK.  You may have slipped past
the synchros due to worn synchro or broken detent ball springs and just had
a missed shift with all it's attending racket as the locking collar tries
to engafe the cogs on the side of the 3rd gear.going at a very different
rotational speed.  Why not just try taking it for a ride and gingerly
attempt to engage 3rd gear and see what happens.  Might be fine.

Regards, Paul A

FROM:   "Trisha", INTERNET:patricia.sauthoff at Colorado.EDU
TO:     "spidgets", INTERNET:spridgets@autox.team.net
        "bugeyes", INTERNET:bugeye@yahoogroups.com
DATE:   1/31/01 12:09 AM

Re:     3rd Gear

Well on Super Bowl Sunday I was driving home, when I put my car into 3rd
gear
I heard a lovely metal on metal grinding type noise.  Needless to say I
went
the remainder of the way home in 2nd and 4th, avoiding 3rd at all costs.
My
question is whether any of you brilliant folks have any idea of what may be
going on.  All other gears work fine, and I didn't grind the gears right
before it happened, so I don't think this was directly my fault.

TIA
Patricia
'59 Bugeye

PS.  GO AMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I've got the reminder set on my digital cable.
:)