Re: Midget ain't been quite right lately

To: macleans@earthlink.net, cdsorkin@cdsorkin.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Midget ain't been quite right lately
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 10:12:24 EST
In a message dated 1/31/01 1:11:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, Charlie writes:

> >  But hey, if anyone has ideas about a simple
> > solution to make starting easier without spending a bundle on replacement

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

I just saw this message, and must have missed the original.  Why is your car
hard to start?  It shouldn't be.  Spridgets are fairly simply buggers, and if
the electricals and fuel system are good, it will start.  (Mine does.  Even
after sitting for months, all it takes is a quick shot of ether in the carb
to get the juices flowing.)

What are the symptoms, and what have you tried so far?  Maybe we can figure
it out for you.

All of the new, computer controlled cars have invisible computer stuff that
can go bad and the car won't start, but a Spridget has no invisible parts.
Years ago I was driving along in my Merc. Sable wagon.  I turned a corner and
the engine stopped.  I had enough momentum to park it, but it would NOT
start.  Had to tow it to the garage.  They replaced the distributor module
and all was well after that.  No way to fix it on the side of the road,
because I had no idea what was wrong.  (Electronic fuel pump, fuel injector
control module, computer, throttle position sensor, etc.?  It is WAAAYY too
expensive to just replace parts until it works again.  The computer "tells"
you what is wrong, but you have to be able to read it.)

Keep It Simple, Stup...(sorry!)

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget