More leaf spring questions

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, team-thicko@autox.team.net, morris@autox.team.net
Subject: More leaf spring questions
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 12:36:21 -0800
Cc: bugeye@yahoogroups.com
I'm in the process of cleaning up a pair of oringinal springs for the
Bugeye. These have been on the shelf for about twenty years and are in
remarkable shape. They are off my original car that was Zeibart undercoated
when the car was about eight years old. Even though that didn't do much to
save the body, I'm finding the leaves are almost perfect with regard to
surface rust. It appears these were put together originally with a blackish
oily-waxey coating that is still mostly intact, especially the section that
goes into the spring hanger. I'm wondering if this is Waxoyl or something
similar?

Does anyone have a technique or home made process for coating the leaves? I
was thinking of cooking up something with some parrafin to coat the leaves
and then coating the assembly with a light coat of spray undercoating.

Any other success stories out there?

Gerard

--
Please visit Four Points Travel -