Re: Red Line Oil - Proven to Out-Perform

To: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>, mgraziano@mindspring.com, WFO Herb <froggi@cdsnet.net>
Subject: Re: Red Line Oil - Proven to Out-Perform
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 07:17:41 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Spridgeteers <spridgets@autox.team.net>
> I was taught that the greater the spread in VI
> numbers, the more additives
> and likely the lesser quality, given a choice.

That is true for conventional oils, but not nearly as
much so for synthetics.  Castrol, in fact, is the only
synthetic that does not use any viscosity enhancers at
all, the viscosity range is a "natural" property of
the PAO fluid used, and Castrol has a way of producing
it without using typical viscosity range additives.
There was a great SAE tech article on this I have to
dig out at home and post somewhere.

=====
.