Bugeye Transmission HELP

To: Curt & Nancy Arndt <CNAArndt@aol.com>
Subject: Bugeye Transmission HELP
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 16:51:56 -0500
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Hi Curt,

Sounds like you have described a broken brass synchro cone.  Not that
common to break.  I have a lot of good smoothcase parts should you decide
to tear into it anf fix it.  Good prices, too!

Regards, Paul A

FROM:   INTERNET:CNAArndt at aol.com, INTERNET:CNAArndt@aol.com
TO:     Spridgets, INTERNET:spridgets@autox.team.net
CC:     (unknown), INTERNET:AHCSD@yahoogroups.com
DATE:   2/21/01 3:25 PM

Re:     Bugeye Transmission HELP

Hi All

I need the collective knowledge of the lists with this problem since the
last
transmission work I did was on the ribcase in my '65 Sprite over 25 years
ago.

While draining the oil in my wife's '60 bugeye (original smooth case
transmission) a piece of a brass/bronze ring fell out in the oil.  The
piece
was about 1 1/4" long and 1/8" thick with what appears to be wide spaced
internal teeth.  when I measured the piece out it looks to be from a ring
that was originally about 1 3/4" in outside diameter, OD and as I said 1/8"

thick.  Referencing both the Bentley and Haynes Manuals it looks to be a
piece out of either the #40. Third speed gear locking collar or #44. Second

speed/splined locking collar.  Does anyone have an idea?

OK, so how screwed am I?  I hope to fire her up by the end of the week
(first
time in 18 years) and see how see runs.  I guess that I have nothing to
loose
if the tranny is shot but I hate to do any more damage if it is at all
repairable.  Is it even possible to get parts for the smoothecase
transmissions or cannibalize another smoothcase for parts?  Should I go and

get the working ribcase that I found a few months ago locally?  I'm open to

any and all suggestions.

My wife really want's the car running by her birthday on March 23rd so It
looks like I have my work cut out for me.

Curt & Nancy Arndt
Carlsbad, CA
'55 BN!, '60 AN5