Question for Brits - NO LBC - way, way OFF TOPIC

To: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Question for Brits - NO LBC - way, way OFF TOPIC
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 07:35:28 -0500
I am currently reading Nevil Shute's book
"In The Wet." In it he talks about post-war
Britain, and mentions all the "empty houses"
in England and Scotland. "There are masses of them
in the North. In the Suburbs, mostly, fairly far
out from the center of towns". Later, he says
"you can't take twelve or thirteen million
people out of England without waste."

So -- we never read about any of this in history
classes, and I've never read about it anywhere else.
Is this for real? What happened? Why worse in the
North?

chuckc@attglobal.net