Re: More carb/engine curiosities (longish)

To: Eddie Sheffield <esheffield@prizmail.com>
Subject: Re: More carb/engine curiosities (longish)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:10:38 -0500
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Eddie Sheffield wrote:

> Couple of questions:
>
> 1) I remember reading somewhere (might have been in Vizard - haven't read it
> all, just skimmed it a bit and hoping to really use it in the future) about
> how crankcase pressures can cause problems if not handle properly. Can
> someone explain why?

A series engines have a funky reverse cut spiral "oil slinger" instead
of a seal. Any crankcase pressure forces oil out what they call the rear
main seal. A metal thing with a spiral slot cut in it.
PCV eliminates (or helps reduce)oil leaks.
Too much crankcase sucktion sucks oil out of the sump and burns it.
Having 3 1275s, each has a different PCV system. No engine is the same.
PIECES uses the Y pipe from the SUs to the t/cover with no PCV valve and
never leaked a drop.
My bugeye sucks from 2 side of the intake thru 1 PCV valve connected to
the t/cover.
The A40 has a filter cut into the fuel pump blanking plate, a line from
the air cleaner to the t/cover and a PCV to the rocker cover.
This engine needs all it can get.

> And did what changed in the 1275s between 1967 and 1971
> that would cause such differences in the crankcase pressures?

Compression ratios. 67 was hi, 71 was lower

> 2) Does anyone have one of those Y connectors that goes between the carbs
> and connects to the oil separator?

Just get a Y plastic connector at the auto store and some hose.