RE: brake slave piston question

To: Glen Byrns <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>
Subject: RE: brake slave piston question
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 01:24:07 -0500
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Hi Glen,

The simple solution to this is to replace both rear wheel cylinders with
new.  Don't bother to sleeve these as it cost too much with the groove
needed.  New ones are cheaper than sleeved and they last a good 10 years.
If they get sleeved, then you have old corroded pistons that are sometimes
broken.

The operative words here are: NEW PISTON ASSEMBLIES.

Paul A

FROM:   INTERNET:grbyrns at ucdavis.edu, INTERNET:grbyrns@ucdavis.edu
TO:     Spridgets, INTERNET:spridgets@autox.team.net
DATE:   3/1/01 12:09 AM

Re:     brake slave piston question

I'm working on the Traveller tonight and it has the same rear wheel
cylinders as the bugeye.  The outer piston appears to be spot welded to the
shaped sheet metal cap.  On my bugeye, one was broken free and I silver
soldered it back together after centering it carefully.  It has worked well
ever since.  One of the rear brake slaves on the Morris is in the same
condition.  The formed piece that cradles the micam adjuster and retains
the
pivot pin for the emergency brake lever is separated from the outer piston.
Inspection of the brakes shows them to have been working reasonably well.

How critical is it for the two to be welded together?  They seem to stay in
the correct orientation when not joined and I don't see how either could
get
into a wrong postion welded or not.  Does this weld break frequently, and
if
so, what if anything do you do about it?

Thanks as always

Glen Byrns
'59 bugeye
'59 Traveller(part of the "National Dry Rot Conservatory")