Busy day on a Sprite.

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Busy day on a Sprite.
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 18:16:34 -0500
I had a great day working on PIECES.
Last night I yanked out the engine to replace the tranny because it
needs a bearing. But since I had a spare ribcase and not knowing it's
condition, I opted to throw it in and see if it was any good.
I also noticed my clutch pressure plate center disc was broken and the
carbon release bearing was disintegrated.

I also went ahead and cleaned the engine, replace the timing cover seal,
repainted the engine the correct color thanks to Paul A's paint, flushed
the radiator, cleaned up the engine compartment since the engine was
out, and rebuilt the heater valve.

Different tranny, new clutch with roller t/o bearing works great!

On to the new hydraulics set up.
I have had nothing but troubles and never a hard brake pedal with the
later tandem brake master so again I opted for the old single bore
(1967) brake master. And since I had a NOS brake and clutch master, in
they went. A bit of plumbing to make it work where 2 lines are now
replaced with one, and a bit of converting to the brake
junction/equalization switch to hold a pressure brake light switch and
it works great.

So now I have a nice green engine, a great transmission, and a solid
brake pedal.
Not bad for a night and a day's work.

2 things I learned.....
1) never fire up a just painted engine without hooking up the oil gauge
line to the block
2) do not test drive that new tranny without first bolting in the
shifter.

--

Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ