Non LBC Ancient History lesson

To: Spridgeteers <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Non LBC Ancient History lesson
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 17:30:34 -0800
From "LEN CARTER" <hermit1 at ipa.net>
To: "HERB" <froggi@cdsnet.net>
Subject: Fw: Where Sayings Come From
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 18:12:34 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From Dluttrell20 at aol.com
To: RobLuttrell@cs.com ; Airmandave@home.com ; AnnAsh4134@aol.com ;
hermit1@ipa.net ; Clxon3@aol.com ; FUZE@webtv.net ; Thudjock@airmail.net ;
JETERG13@aol.com ; Mus1921@aol.com ; Paojoe1@aol.com ; JLQ522@aol.com ;
Jtines511@aol.com ; Riley@tenforward.com
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2001 11:48 AM
Subject: Where Sayings Come From

If you really, really put a warped mind to work you can come up with an
answer for anything.

Don

Where the sayings came from.....

1. In Shakespeare's time, mattresses were secured on bed frames by
ropes. When you pulled on the ropes, the mattress tightened, making the
bed firmer to sleep on. That's where the phrase, "goodnight, sleep
tight" came from.

2. It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for a
month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law
with all the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer and because their
calendar was lunar based, this period was called the "honey month" or
what we know today as the honeymoon."

3. In English pubs, ale is ordered by pints and quarts. So in old
England, when customers got unruly, the bartender would yell at them to
mind their own pints and quarts and settle down. It's where we get the
phrase "mind your P's and Q's".

4. Many years ago in England, pub frequenters had a whistle baked into
the rim or handle of their ceramic cups. When they needed refill, they
used the whistle to get some service. "Wet your whistle," is the phrase
inspired by this his practice.

5. In ancient England, a person could not have sex unless you had
consent of the King (unless you were in the Royal Family). When anyone
wanted to have a baby, they got consent of the King, the King gave them
a placard that they hung on their door while they were having sex. The
placard had F.*.*.K (Fornication Under Consent of the King) on it. Now
you know where that came from.

6. In Scotland, a new game was invented. It was entitled Gentlemen Only
Ladies Forbidden....and thus the word GOLF entered into the English
language.

///