Re: gaskets

To: jboatri@emory.edu, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: gaskets
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 23:03:00 -0500
Jeff:
I use RTV on the valve cover-to-gasket joint and nothing on the
gasket-to-head joint as suggested by many listers. But I have nicked up the
surface of the head where the gasket mates to it with a chisel, making a
series of little indentations. When the valve cover is screwed down the
raised portion of the marks dig into the surface of the gasket and prevent
it from sliding out under pressure. The valve cover comes off easily. The
gasket is not destroyed and can be used many times. Never had a leak from
the gasket.

Bob

07:13 PM 03/11/2001 -0500, NewNGsInfo@cs.com wrote:
>Jeff,
>
>I use black RTV to seal it to the cover.  Lrt it dry one day.  Then come in
>and coat the inner edge and head mating surface of the gsaket with the RTV.
>Let dry one day.  When you install this integral gasked/cover, it makes a
>good seal, but can be removed many times for valve adjustments without
>sticking to the head and comming apart.
>
>John Carey
>San Jose, Ca
>61 Bugeye