Re: Oil Cap and Vent Tube

To: DLancer7676@cs.com
Subject: Re: Oil Cap and Vent Tube
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 14:48:54 -0500
Cc: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
DLancer7676@cs.com wrote:

> Oh--Another queston:
>
> My  1979 1500 engine is completely detoxed--no pollution equipment on the
> engine at all.
> Should I be running the stock valve cover with the vent tube, which emits oil
> on everthing in its wake, or should this tube be sealed shut, since the
> pollution equipment is no more?  And should I be running a vented or
> non-vented cap Valve cover cap?
>
> I have considered running the vent tube into a container of some sort.  Tried
> running it to the ground but oil gets all over the frame.  Running a Weber --
> No where to connect it to the intake manifold--and I don't want to gunk up
> the intake and valves with oil either, so connecting it to the carb or
> manifold is not a wise move, in my opinion.

  You have to do something with it, or it'll find a way out. If
you plut the vent tube, it'll come out of the dipstick hole, if
you plug that, it'll come out of the timing chain cover or
the tappet chest, etc.

  (ah, nothing makes me smile more than a DCO frantically
removing pollution equipment without stopping to think. The
naive beleif that all pollution equipment is bad, and the
key to a fine car is simply to unbolt it and chuck it
in the bin. No wonder the US government needs such strict
pollution laws!)

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca