diff-erent diffs

To: <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>, "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: diff-erent diffs
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 19:08:22 -0000
ATA and BTA casting numbers on diffs.  I THINK it relates to the manner in
which the geary-bits are mounted together inside the case, ie the BTA
carrier is a more substantial casting.  Am I thinking along the right lines?
Can a BTA carrier be used inside an ATA case?  Can the crown & Pinion from
one model be used on another?  Has anyone actually broken a diff internally.
If so, why and where did it fail.  I'm interested in finding out where the
weakness lies.

On a related matter, am I right in assuming that a correctly assembled recon
diff should show signs of wear evenly either side of the middle of the teeth
on the crownwheel or should it be irrelevant where the teeth touch?

Rob

///