GM Carb Rebuild - NO LBC

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: GM Carb Rebuild - NO LBC
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 19:23:24 -0500
OK all.

This Friday I'm going to attempt rebuilding the carb on that truck I've been
pestering everyone about.

My main goal is to check the float level and condition.  Has anyone ever taken
these things apart? I've rebuilt my SU's,  but I don't think they are anything
alike.  I also have the Haynes book for the GMC.

As a refresher,  it's a 1986 GMC C3500 Dually Pickup with a 5.0 litre engine
and stock carb.

Going uphill the engine stumbles and loses power,  then surges until you slow
down to 25-30 MPH.

I've ruled out fuel filters (new), exhaust (new dual exhaust with no calaytic
converter), and timing (power when power braking, but no timing cover to check
it to, but I am going to check via the two bolts as someone suggested).  All
that's left is carb float level and fuel pump.  I'm going to test the fuel pump
and probably install an electric pump on Friday as well.

Anyway,  my question is has anyone rebuilt one of these carbs?  I think it's a
rotchester, but I won't know the exact model until tomorrow (GM Cust service
based off the VIN) or friday (looking at the carb itself).  Any caveats?  Tips?
  etc....

THanks for the help to all that have helped so far,  and sorry to waste non LBC
bandwidth, but I don't have any other access to a similar goup of individuals.
<grin>

Mike
'78 Midget

///