Re: paint

To: patricia.sauthoff@Colorado.EDU
Subject: Re: paint
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 13:08:57 -0500
Cc: RBHouston@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net, bugeye@yahoogroups.com
Was this a re-spray?  Neither the original paint, nor a properly prepared
re-spray, should bubble the paint with just one spillover.  Good preparation is
always the key.

One thing that will make paint jobs vulnerable to gas fumes is if the body is
masked to a sharp edge (i.e., with tape) close to where gas fumes are present.
That sharp edge can expose the cross section of the paint layers to the fumes,
which can migrate in and lift the paint.  It is often an issue when painting the
filler neck itself, like on a motorcycle tank where the neck is a welded
integral
part of the tank, which is all painted a finish color. (no need to ask how I
know
this!). The solution is to feather the paint layers, particularly the top coat,
down to the metal before it reaches a point where the fumes can attack it.
However, this is not identical to a Spridget layout, but perhaps some of the
same
action is going on.  Again, just a few days on contact should not have been
enough
to blister the paint.  Maybe there was a break in the paint film?  Deep scratch?

Estimates from a quality paint shop will likely shock you.  You will pay at
least
$65/hr., and there ends up being quite a bit of time in even a small repair.  It
might be wise to consider a more expansive re-spray, because if the paint was
that
vulnerable in the first place, other sections may be ready to fail.

RBHouston@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/27/01 9:09:58 PM Mountain Standard Time,
> patricia.sauthoff@Colorado.EDU writes:
>
> > He said the gas in the car was bubbling, and a large patch of
> > paint under the gas cap was bubbled off the car.  Now for the questions, do
> > Patricia,
>
> the gas warmed up and expanded, as most
> all things do when they warm up, and the gas no longer fit in the tank.  In
> the future, just stop when the pump clicks off at the station and don't top
> the tank off, especially on a cold day.
>
> A good paint shop should be able to spot paint the area and  match the color.
>  IMHO it shouldn't cost more than $200 or so to fix this.
>
> RH

///