speedo pinion (?) problem

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: speedo pinion (?) problem
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 20:46:38 +0300
Hello all. Been away for some time but back now.
Events are being scheduled around here so I've been preparing the 66
Sprite Mk3.

Here's a thing that puzzles me. The speedometer had been showing "0" for
years so I thought I'd check it out. Turns out the cable and instrument
are OK after having been spun with a drill. So I turned my attention to
the pinion & housing. I replaced both, plus oil seal, retainer and
gasket. No change. With car on axle stands, engine on, fourth gear
engaged, choke pulled to give some rpm still the pinion won't turn. What
could be the problem here?

By the way the old pinion's gear teeth are worn in the middle but the
new pinion is fine and has engaged fully (?) with the drive gear, after
I turned and pushed it in.

Cheers,
Evangelos

///