datsun 5 speeds.

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: datsun 5 speeds.
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 01:53:27 -0700 m>
I have searched for locally (telephone wise) for a datsun 210 5 speed
without much luck. I called around 60+ wrecking yards in southern CA. I
found two fairly locally trannys one for $340 (gasp) and the other for $250.
I would probably go for the $250 one, but the junk yard guy is so suspicious
that I don't feel good about the deal. He wants a $100 deposit in cash
before he will even get the car off of the stack for me to take it out, and
if it turns out its not the correct tranny, or it is no good, or I don't
want it for any reason, he keeps my deposit. Then he added he wanted a $30
core charge. (what??!!) My local yard can get one through it's network, but
for $400.

According to my buddy, the datsun freak, those trannys are also used by the
datsun crowd fairly heavily. (last and strongest RWD tranny) Since these
cars are basically worthless, econoboxes if I understand correctly, they
have long since been crushed or chopped for parts, or still on the road.

My buddy's theory is that all the yards that have been inventoried and "on
the network" sell all they have to each other nationwide. So the key here
seems to be the pick and pulls where they really don't know what they have.
The nearest one to me is about a good 2 hours away. The datsun freak, swares
there are fields of 210s baking in the sun out there in AZ. He has stumbled
on them numerous times.

So to make it short, I am going to go make a tranny run this weekend to AZ
and pick up one for myself. Would anybody else be interested?

Toby

///