NO LBC - Mad cow disease, Foot and mouths - tourist info

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: NO LBC - Mad cow disease, Foot and mouths - tourist info
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 07:52:17 EDT
Hi list,

Been reading some stuff in the Newspaper here in England about concerns
americans and others have about travelling to the UK.  Let me first say I
don't work in the tourism industry or anything and have no political
loyalties.

THE GOOD NEWS - all the Car museums are open for business

OTHER NEWS - There are some restrictions on when you can walk about in the
countryside due to the Foot and mouth disease which only effect some animals
- mostly cows, sheep and pigs.

Mad Cow disease (BSE)cannot be caught from a live cow but if you ate the
brains or spinal cord of a dead cow that had it in a beef product (eg a
beefburger) you might get the human form of the disease known as CKD (or
something similiar, CJD?).  Also the incubation of the disease is long so if
you visited the UK about a decade ok its too late to worry now.

I don't expect there is anything dangerous about any british food product at
the moment and all the bans on british animals relate to live ones.  I can
add that some european countries haven't been so tight on BSE as we have.
Yes, mad cow disease is based on a disease originating in sheep.

Mad cow disease has nothing to do with foot and mouth.

Do come and visit our fine car museums and race tracks, eat our meat products
in confidence but don't plan on doing too much walking in the countryside,
especially cumbria and devon.

Any questions OFF LIST unless the list wants a debate.

Daniel1312

///