Newbie with questions

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Newbie with questions
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 20:14:40 -0400
Hello everyone,

After following this list (as a lurker) for several years, I finally took
the plunge last weekend and bought my first spridget - a 1974 Midget
GAN5UE143707G.  (Anybody know what the G stands for?)

The car is in excellent shape structurally...it was reported to be an
Arizona car originally, and after carefully checking for rust, I believe
it!!  The car also appears to be in good shape mechanically....compression
is 110 lbs in all cylinders, it runs well (it has a Webber), and shifting is
smooth. The car does need some immediate attention....brakes need bleeding
and clutch needs some adjusting, but those things I can handle.

There are a couple of other items that I would like to get some input from
the list on:

Gearbox whine....the gearbox is pretty noisy, especially in neutral and
first gear.  I think that I have read on the list that this is "normal", but
should I be concerned? The gearbox now has 20W50 motor oil in it....will
going to a higher viscosity gear lube (80W90) help or hurt?

Fuel pump....I've already had one minor failure of the electrical
connections on the fuel pump.  Do any of you use the electronic fuel pump
(that Moss and others sell) as a "back-up" in series with the Lucas pump?

I'm sure that many more questions will arise as I put some miles on the car.
Of course, I'm in Michigan, and it snowed a bit today, the wind chill is in
the teens, and it looks like top-down weather will be delayed a bit!!!

Thank you for the help.

Steve Swarin
'74 Midget

///