Re: London Sights for a friend (NO LBC)

To: conan@ralvm8.vnet.ibm.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: London Sights for a friend (NO LBC)
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 09:41:11 EDT
In a message dated 4/18/01 6:33:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
conan@ralvm8.vnet.ibm.com writes:

>   I have non-lbc friends going to London for a week on Apr 29.
> They're looking for recommendations of specific places they should visit
> in the London area.
>   Any especially worthwhile restaurants, pubs, inns, (moderate/medium
> prices)
> or other places/things they should visit that don't show up on the
> standard tourist lists?  (I'm assuming they're smart enough to know about
> Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, etc. ;-)  But throw those in too if you are/were
> particularly impressed with them.)
>   This is a young couple (late-20s to very early 30s).  Friendly and

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A week is hardly enough time to see all the normal tourist stuff in London.
I enjoyed the Tower of London.  Visit the Sherlock Holmes Pub
(http://www.sherlockholmespub.homestead.com) on Trafalgar Sq. near Charing
Cross station.  Most of the pubs are good places for a pint.  We never did
find any good restaurants, but that was 15 years ago!

To really have a good time they should get out to the country side.  I spent
a few days in the Lake District (http://www.lake-district-links.co.uk).  The
people are so friendly and the towns and countryside are really pretty.
That's where Elizabeth (Spridgetstock) Jones is from.  So take the highway
(A4?) up to Ulverston and visit the largest Laurel and Hardy Museum in the
world and have a pint at the Stan Laurel Pub.  THAT'S LIVING!

Someone else posted about Canterbury and Leeds Castle.  We went to both and
they were really impressive.  Canterbury is an artsy kinda town, with the
fabulous Canterbury Cathedral dominating the area.  Lots of history there.
Highly recommended.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget