Coils - endless confusion

To: <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>, "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Coils - endless confusion
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 10:28:45 +0100
Surely someone knows the differences between the ballasted, non-ballasted
and the electronic coils?  I can identify the b and non-b ones by their
internal resistance via a electric meter-thing.  How about the ones used on
Minis and Metros with the electronic Lucas 59 and 64 ignition systems?
I have the A+ engine and MG Metro system with the 64 module distributor.

So.....how is one of the coils identified...AND....CAN it run with a
ballasted ignition wiring loom?

ie if the loom has a ballast wire in the system, will it give too much or
too little voltage to the coil during normal running...OR...will the
ignition module not worry about it?  Looking at a wiring loom diagram for
the MG Metro in a wiring book it shows the electronic  module-d ignition as
not having a ballast wiring system built in, whilst the non-electronic Metro
of the same era has a ballast wire and a normal coil/distributor.

Could this be the cause of some of the "odd" failures of the after-market
electronic conversion kits for the 1500s?

HMMMMM!

Serious/informed answers would be appreciated, as would any useful links to
associated sites.

TIA

Rob Thomas

///