Re: How much smoke is too much smoke ?

To: "Louis Mehr (EML)" <Louis.Mehr@eml.ericsson.se>
Subject: Re: How much smoke is too much smoke ?
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 04:32:58 -0400
Cc: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
"Louis Mehr (EML)" wrote:
> Todays problem is more serious and could result in
> the departure of the car - it smokes excessively !
>
>  Even with a poor mixture and timing I would not have
> expected so much smoke - is that reasonable ?

  A lot depends on the colour of the smoke. You hinted
at blue, which is sadly one of the worst choices.

  Blue smoke is oil smoke, which isn't really caused by poor
mixture and timing.

  Black smoke is improperly burned fuel, that's what
you get when mixture or ignition is off. You can
fix this with tuning and possibly simple replacement
parts like new carb parts.

  Blue smoke means oil is getting into your
combustion chamber somehow. Either getting by
the piston rings, getting by worn valve
seals, or (if applicable) being drawn into
the intake via the emissions system.

> (ii) Underneath the carb and manifold black oil is being spat out from the
>engine side cover. (To be fixed)

  This may relate, if it's coming out under
pressure and not just leaking from gravity.

  It likely means you have a pressurized
crankcase, likely from excessive blowby
and exascerbated by a malfunctioning crankcase
ventilation system. (a blockage)

> (iv) What about adding anti-smoke additive ?  I did this
> to my old MGB and it helped.

  That's more of a patch than a fix. Kind of like putting
on a lot of cologne rather than taking a shower. ;>

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca

///