Oil pressure / Water temperature dual gauge

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil pressure / Water temperature dual gauge
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 13:02:54 -0400

I'm hoping that the combined wisdom of this list can help us out. My son and
I are just about to finish a 1 1/2 year restoration of his '76  Midget. The
dual pressure/temp gauge has been out of the car for over 10 years. The temp
side of the gauge rests at about 1/2 of the scale. When we started the motor
and built up the temperature, the temp side of the gauge did not move. The
pressure side rests at "0" and appears to read accurately with 50 lbs at
idle and 65-70 lbs.at 3,000 rpm..We took the gauge out to test it further .
We took a pot of water and brought it to a boil. When we inserted the sender
in the boiling water, the gauge needle moved to read full scale. I expected
to see the gauge at about 3/4 scale to reflect 212 degrees but not full
scale.

We went our local junkyard and found another gauge. We tested it with
boiling water and it read out ok. When we installed this gauge, the pressure
side goes to 15 lbs.and stops. It will not read out above 15 lbs. of
pressure.

I checked Moss and a new  Gauge  is over  $129.00!

Help ,

Tom and Will Speed
!976 MG Midget

///