Re: Headers now Watts

To: "Hanna, Mark" <mhanna@ball.com>
Subject: Re: Headers now Watts
Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 05:05:27 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net> >
Mark,

> You mentioned that your car has a Watts linkage. Did
> you build this linkage
> from scratch, or is it a kit ? Do you have any
> pictures ?  What made you
> choose a Watts linkage over a panhard rod ?
> TIA,

My watts linkage was already on my car when purchased.
It does appear to be scratch built. The watts linkage
requires welding and fabricating two mounting points
to the axle housing. Two at each end (one high and one
low). In the center mounted to the body, there is a
bell crank like from u-control model airplane days. I
seem to remember the watts linkage is preferred over a
panhard bar as it has better roll center geometry whe
the car leans in a turn. This is discussed in the book
"How To Make Your Car Handle"

> PS. Is your car an early Spridget ?   ie.1/4 rear
> leaf springs.

My car was a semi-eliptic spring car, but when going
to coil over suspension it does not matter. The only
points that the suspension attaches are in front of
the axle. Two at the front where the springs typically
attach and one in the center at the top (just above
the tunnel).

John
http://auctions.yahoo.com/