fuel spillage at startup

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: fuel spillage at startup
Date: Sat, 05 May 2001 22:51:56 +0300
Greetings Spridgeteers,
Thought I'd share a strange occurence with you. After having let it
stand for about a month, I started the Sprite today and for the first
three minutes or so the fuel pump relinquished a generous amount of
leaded petrol on the concrete floor of my garage. Then it stopped
spilling it and all went fine and dry.

The pump was bought new back in 97, has seen hardly any use and the twin
HS2 carb float needles are brand new, no leaks there at all. The same
thing happened a month ago when I took the car for a good 50 km drive.

Something I should be worried about, what should I check? Any ideas?

Evangelos
66 Sprite Mk3