RE: Last call for help

To: <BritishCarMan@aol.com>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Last call for help
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 00:09:04 -0700 m>
You will pick up fast. I started some minor body work and my results looked
OK. Not great, but decent. I have been itching to do it again, but this time
do it right, so this week, or the next, I am going to tackle it. Basically a
little rust repair and an entire paint job (from scratch). I purchased a few
books from Borders and read them cover to cover a few times, and I really
think I will be able to handle it. I also hung out at a few body shops for a
few days with some donuts for the staff. Everybody was friendly and were
shocked at the idea I was trying to learn something by hanging around. A few
dudes put me to work, and told me not to screw up on the customer's car. It
was fun... good learning experience not really that difficult, just VERY
time consuming.

Hopefully the Sprite project will continue now that I got this nice
garage... probably another week of cleaning and building my shelves and
wiring my lighting etc... before I will tow the sprite in. Triple A will tow
it 20 miles, so getting it there won't be a problem. It doesn't have the
steering rack installed so the tires are pointing in opposite directions
which looks really funny, but makes it hard to maneuver. At least the engine
is out (oh for a good 6 months now) so its light and easy to push. Also
going to build an engine stand so I can run the engine outa the car
(something I always wanted to do) and tune it like a pro.

The nasty rusty fender I had on my car, instead of hassling to repair it
(welding new sheet metal etc..) I just got a donor fender and going to paint
that at the same time as the rest so it'll all match. It is gonna be flame
red, (color was used on 67 Sprites if I remember correctly). I would
seriously consider purchasing new body panels vs. repairing the heavily
rusted ones. If it is just minor rust, I would give it a shot. Hopefully you
don't have to deal with rust on structural components, A posts etc... cause
that can get nasty.

Good luck. Get some books and read up, and hopefully somebody can swing by
and guide you.

Toby

Hello list. I am getting ready to strip down the Sprite and get it ready for
the body work. My question again is if there is anyone near the Janesville,
Wisconsin area that would be willing to lend me a hand since I know nothing
when it comes to body work? I just need help with the major body work. I
hope
to pick up enough during that time to finish the minor stuff myself. The
other options are to proceed with the body work myself which could end with
tragic results for the body or junk this body, which I don't want to do, and
buy a body that is in better shape. If someone would be willing to help me I
would gladly return the favor in the future if there is something that I
could do for that person. I have had this car for around 9 years, my first
car, and I really don't want to send it to the junk yard to be crushed. If
anyone would be willing to lend me a hand please contact me off-list.