Spridgets at SPA

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Spridgets at SPA
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 19:30:13 EDT
Hi list,

For once I am not jealous of not being at Carlisle, because I spend a long
weekend in Belgium for the principle reason of seeing a round of the FISC
European Spridget racing series.

My wife and daughter came with me and we flew Birmingham to Brussells (my
Sprite is the only car in the family).  From the airport we took a train to
the centre of Brussels and then took a train towards SPA - I speak about a
dozen words in French, my wife about the same.  It is a myth that 'lots of
people speak English'.  Just about everyone we spoke to were English people
saying - 'do you speak English?'.

At Verviers we got off the train to catch the final connection to Spa and
yours truly watched the train pull out as he realised our suitcase was on it.

Passports, money and my camera was in a seperate bag.

I thought the train station staff could 'pull' our case at the next stop.
The station staff in clear but somewhat inappropriate English said when I
told him what had happened  - what a pity.  I was thinking something else.

He told me the train's next stop was Germany and my heart sank, deep.

I filled in a form and he said the Germans would write to me!

We caught the connecting service to SPA and my wife was holding back the
tears while I was checking the insurance policy.

It took a while for the Belgian police to realise I just wanted to report my
loss so I could make an insurance claim - once they did they duly obliged
with a suitable letter which I can't read but has words like valise, etc in
them!

All the shops in SPA seemed to expensive designer type clothes shop and boy
do I now have some near gear!  The shop staff seemed very helpful and keen to
please and when they told me the price was BF 12,000+ I began to understand
why, more so later when I worked out this was about #200+.  We went to other
shops as well.....

The Motel was great and we got a cheap lift to SPA racetrack early the next
morning (we were up at 4.30 the day before).

Got into the circuit ok and met the Spridget racers before watching part of a
60 minute race that featured a mixture of classic triumph TRs, old porsches
and some Alfa's from the top of the pit lane roof viewing area (in the UK you
would pay a ton of extra money for the privilege, here it was free).

Had a walk round part of the circuit which is really scenic and watched some
modern Porsches (it was a German Porsche club meet).  Before walking back
down while seeing some classic race that had a big healey, an early TVR
Griffith, some yank tanks (couldn't resist),and a lot of early Lotus Elans.
Missed the crash which resulted in the lead TVR and Corvette 427 swapping
bodywork and letting the Lotus in to lead.  The Corvette looked a real
handful to drive since when it 3 wheeled at the Eau Rouge corner it kind of
'pattered' on the suspension.

We watched the Spridget race from the hairpin la source corner which is one
of the better if not best corners I have taken photos from (hope they turn
out ok).  Lots of action, a near spin,  spin and into the wall (driver
unhurt), a roll over (not that we saw it but saw the car coming off the
wrecker back in the paddock, driver did walk away from crash) a car with a
broken toughened windscreen (illegal screen in racing!), sadly saw a car
without its Speedwell front before the race was stopped.  Not least saw the
final outbraking & overtaking that led to the lead being changed on the last
lap.

Had a look round SPA on the Sunday.

Went back to Brussels this morning and took a tram to the Atomium before
catching a tram and then a train to the airport.

An action packed long weeked with lots of Spridget content that my wife and
daughter enjoyed so funds permitting we might do it again.

Daniel1312.