Re: Sprite MKi - Bonnet removal

To: "Tim & Brigitte" <tim@webadz.co.za>, "Sprite" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sprite MKi - Bonnet removal
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 11:21:47 -0700
At 6:54 PM +0200 6/3/01, Tim & Brigitte wrote:
>Hi there
>
>I have started the task of spripping down my sprite for its appointment at
>the paint & body shop - some advice please
>
>What is the best way to remove the bonnet - can it be done by one person?

Yes but not easily. If it's your first time, I recommend you have an extra
pairs of hands to avoid damage to he body parts and to yourself. The front
end is relatively heavy so keep it stabilized in the up position while you
remove the four bolts in each hinge. Getting it back on without damaging
anything is the hard part. I would also take pictures of the hinge-bolt
relationships for when you need to re-align it later.

>Where can I find a reference for body - engine numbers ?
>All I have found so far is a plate in the door pillar - BAE 30333 - any
>comments?

There should be a chassis plate facing up on the diagonal frame leg below
the carbutettors. If that's missing, you can do a search for the chassis
number through BMIHT using that BAE number. You can have the chassis plates
remade too.

For more info on BMIHT see:

http://www.gerardsgarage.com/GarageContent/BMIHTinfo.htm

Gerard