Re: Manifold nuts on 1500

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Manifold nuts on 1500
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:14:59 EDT
"Adrian Jones" <gussiefinknottle@msn.com>wrote:

<<<Subject: Manifold nuts on 1500

Yeah,
You know what I mean.  Those two lower 9/16" nuts that secure the intake and
exhaust manifold.
How in the world can they be tightened?
I've managed to get them about "finger-tight" by mickey-mousing them with a
open-ended wrench straight on ( wrench appprox. horizontal, same plane as
manifold stud, if you know what I mean).
Unfortunately, they are inaccessable straight on with a socket (even the
small 1/4" socket cannot squeeze through the gap)
With a wrench, in the normal position, in the gap between the manifolds,
even a  "hacksaw converted" bicycle wrench (thickness 1/8") cannot accesss
the nuts.
Help would be much appreciated.   Regards,   Adrian>>>

Since no one else jumped in -

The two lower center studs should have longer (deeper?) nuts on them. They
are a little over an inch long and then stick out far enough on the stud that
you can get an open end wrench on them from underneath.

I was about the deal with just this procedure last weekend in order to put my
re-re-built engine back in the car when I found the fitting for the air pipe
into the exhaust manifold is buggered up. (Yes, I still have a working air
pump). The fitting that threads into the manifold seems to have bent slightly
just past where it was threaded in on top of welding itself to the pipe.
Botomline is that it can't be tightened in without the pipe ending up about
60 degrees out of position. Anyone have a 77-79 air pipe they didn't throw as
far as they could when they removed the pump? Or does anyone know what
size/spec plug is needed to close the opening?

Kim Tonry
Downers Grove, Illinois, USA
79 Midget