Re: British Engineering

To: macleans@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: British Engineering
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:18:34 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 6/14/01 1:35:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
macleans@earthlink.net writes:

<< a
 COARSE screw (what threads?) that threads directly into the generator
 bracket!  Was this guy on drugs?!?!?!?!  If there is any vibration in
 the engine (who has no vibration?) this bolt works loose or as in my
 case strips the threads and falls out!  >>

Mike

This coarse thread bolt that threads into the front generator casing is a BSW
(British Standard Whitworth) thread form.  Yes, it has the same TPI (Threads
Per Inch) as a UNC or SAE coarse  bolt but it is in fact a Whitworth bolt.
The difference will be in the angle of the threads i.e., Whitworth has a 55
degree angle (hence one of the definitions of Whitworth) and U.S. standard
will have a 60 degree angle between the threads.  I believe that it should
have come with a spring (lock) washer to keep it from vibrating loose but I
don't have a parts book handy to check, however I know that mine did, and it
has not vibrated loose yet.

Drop me a line if you need the proper bolt,

Curt Arndt
Carlsbad, CA