Re: Carb rebuild kits for HS4s

To: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Subject: Re: Carb rebuild kits for HS4s
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 16:09:40 -0400
Cc: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Charley & Peggy Robinson wrote:

> Hi Trevor,
>
>   Are you sure the carbs are properly synched?  Throttle shafts aren't
> leaking air?  If you can feel any side-to-side play in the shafts,
> you'll never get them tuned correctly.

  Everything seemed ok, but I'll have another good look.

  I'm not "mister SU carb" but I've owned a small fleet
of SU equipped LBCs for a while now, and setting them
up always seemed pretty straightforward and the results
were fine.

  This car just never seems to "converge" like the
others do. The others seem to run better and better until
the setup is done, this one never seems to get healthy
or else it doesn't last.

  I think I'll rebuild before I try any more, at
least then I'll have a solid baseline.

>   I've had good luck with the carb parts from Moss.  I buy thru George
> Merryweather.

  I think I can buy through Moss by ordering the HS-4 rebuild kit
from some other car like an MGB, but I am not sure
I can get the right needles.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca