Finally stays in 2nd gear

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Finally stays in 2nd gear
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 17:08:53 -0700 (PDT)
Well at last the ribcase no longer jumps out of second
gear. Thanks goes to Don Racine of Minimania. I posted
my problem on his message board and he gave me a few
pointers on assembly of the ribcase and suggested I
call him. I then called and discussed the fixes at
length. The pointers were to grind the 2nd gear detent
groove on the shift rod deeper and to the rear of the
rod; to squeeze the brass shift fork in a vise to
tighten the tolerance on the gear; to grind about .030
thousands of an inch off of the end of the shift rod
to assure it moves entirely into second gear before it
bottoms out against the front cover. I also used
another second gear that had a little better dog teeth
as well.

So now I have second gear and my 5.38 rear is here;
all I need now is an autocross to go to.

John Holliday
67 Fproduction Street Sprite
http://buzz.yahoo.com/