More problems (Front fender removal)

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: More problems (Front fender removal)
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 01:45:22 EDT
Hello list. I went to my storage unit today to get some work done on the
Sprite. I started by removing the trunk lid (piece of cake). I then started
soaking down the bolts and screws that hold the front fenders on. The two top
bolts on the inside of the car by the post came out easy, however the rest of
them turned but were not coming out. I could hear metal scraping and slapping
as I turned the bolts. Even I know this is not good, I will have to grind the
tops of these bolts off. Next I checked the bolts on top by the cowl, one on
each side. One's a flat head screw and the other is a bolt. The screw head is
severely damaged, looks like someone tried to remove it before and shaved the
groove out with the screwdriver tip. The only way to get it out as far as I
can see is to grind it. Unfortunately it is in a very tight corner, if I
grind it I will also cut into the cowl and fender. I didn't do anything else
after that.

The more I dig into it the more I find wrong. The damage I have seen so far
is very intimidating. I wonder if I would be better off just striping
anything good I can get off it and look for another Sprite. I have been
without a british car as a daily driver since September or October of 2000
and it's driving me nuts. If I strip it out and send it to the scrap yard I
will look for a Sprite of any year (would prefer a Bugeye) or a MGA. Anybody
know someone with one of these sitting around in decent condition around
south Wisconsin? Thanks.

Jamie (Getting very discouraged)
1962 AH Sprite MK II (under restoration)
1979 Trans Am
Web site links:  <A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/darkside/mycar.html";>
Welcome to my british car site</A>