Re: Heat shield

To: Bill Gilroy <w.gilroy@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Heat shield
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 21:42:13 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Well, installing the heat shield solved the last of the problems I was having
with my Spitfire that had been converted by me to dual SUs.  The first part of
the problem being excess fuel pressure from an aftermarket fuel pump.

I made my heat shield from a $1 aluminum baking pan.  Bought the big one,
measured a bit, poked holes and cut.  It's bolted on with the air filter bolts.
Wraps under the carburetors and is shoved up against the manifolds.  Two little
bits of wire wrap the intake manifolds and tie it up at the back.  Slightly
angled so that if I do have fuel slobber out one of those carburetors, it won't
pour all over the exhaust manifold.  I chose to use the pan right side up, on
the
theory that perhaps the hot air will rise around the carburetors, instead of
being trapped below them.  The leading edge I folded down in the vague hopes of
scooping some cooler air, or some such silly thing.  Crude, ugly, highly
effective, dirt cheap.

Prototype was actually made from scrap aluminum foil.