Re: Hot Fuel

To: "Dave Hiley" <dhiley@cadvision.com>
Subject: Re: Hot Fuel
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 16:33:55 -0700
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Dave,

I have the same problem due to the unusual set-up I have that routes the
fuel line above the motor from the right side to the left over the valve
cover.  After warming up the engine on a very hot day, it will act very
badly until enough 'cool' fuel has moved into the float bowl.  The
temperature this last week has been 100 and above.  Now that the alum. core
radiator has cured my overheating problem in hot weather, I've found this to
be the next challenge.  I'm going to try re-routing the fuel line and
introduce a fiber spacer and heat shield between the turbo throat and the
carb.
I believe the heat under the bonnet gets high enough under the above
described conditions to bring the fuel to a boil in the rubber fuel line
were it reaches its highest point above the valve cover.  A bit of header
wrap on the turbo outlet pipe until it exits under the car will probably cut
the under bonnet heat as well.

Regards,
Glen Byrns
'59 bugeye
'59 Morris Traveller (Winifred)

"I'd like to die peacfully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in
terror like his passengers"