Re: Rear Ended This Evening

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear Ended This Evening
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 23:29:21 -0700
John,
Select (What am I talking about?), Find a body shop that has experience
with British cars and get an estimate to repair.

When the insurance company adjuster contacts you, bring the car to the
body shop so it is there for both the repairer and the adjuster to
review together.

NADA's Classic Guide shows a respectable value for a 67 Sprite of
$5,050. for Average Retail and $7,575. for High Retail so the adjuster
has some documented value from a commonly used source to weigh the cost
of repair against.

The insurance company has to make the check payable to you. It does not
have to include the name of the body shop. At least this is true in CT.
You may want to check with the PA State Ins Dept. for any questions
specific to your State. In other words, if you want to repair the car
yourself or fill Chuck's pockets, that is your option.

Should the adjuster talk total loss, don't get excited until you hear
the figures. Sometimes you are better off letting them total the car and
buying back the salvage from them. In that case the insurance company
would simply deduct the salvage amount from the total loss figure, pay
you the net amount and you keep the car. The only downside to this is
that the title will be stamped SALVAGE and you will need to get the car
reinspected after repairs are completed before driving the car on the
road. (This again is based on CT law. Contact the Dept. of Motor
Vehicles in your State for what applies in PA.)

I would also contact the other party's insurance company to verify that
a report has been filed. Often, the other party isn't as anxious as you
are to get matters rolling.

The other company should contact you within a reasonable time, within 5
days of the time they receive the report is reasonable.

If you have any specific questions now or as your claim proceeds,
contact me off-list and I will gladly help you out.

jay fishbein
wallingford, ct