LBClutchless in Cal

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: LBClutchless in Cal
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 11:16:07 -0700
Spridgeteers -

I recently had a catastrophic loss of clutch function while on a drive.
It's amazing how well a really 'used' ribcase works without a clutch. After
getting side tracked by a front brake problem that ended up going all the
way to a trunnion rebuild (many dismal war stories there!), I got to the
slave cylinder on Tuesday last.  To say that the bellows was "perished" is
to do the word a disservice.  The slave cylinder had only one mounting bolt
in place.  After removing the (bent) clevis pin, the pushrod fell off on
the floor.   I removed the remaining mounting bolt and the rest of the
cylinder dropped down, hanging from the flex hose.  I got it onto the bench
and found that the inner end of the pushrod had been forced into the hex
cavity of a half-inch diameter by half inch length set screw.  This rested
on top of a 5/8" diameter by half inch long set screw which, in turn, sat
in the conical cavity of the piston.  There was no circlip, the bellows
(formerly) being the only thing holding this all together.  Pulling the
piston, I found that it was a 'groove-seal' type and that no "cup" was
present.  Also, a two-inch long (free length) coil spring was below the
piston and no cup filler was installed.  The cylinder has a two-row cast-in
marking: 3233-237C over Q251.  It appears that the DPO or his designated
paid representative, came up with a hybrid 1275/1500 assembly.

I had neglected this area before 'cuz the clutch worked fine, up to the
point of failure, and there were many other demons to chase.

Now my question.  After replacing the slave cylinder, I'll bleed the system
per the Haynes manual.  Regarding paragraph 2.1, what do I need to know
about the "clean jam jar"?  Flavor? Size? Brand?

Clay L.
'67 Sprite