STOLEN CAR RECOVERED!

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: STOLEN CAR RECOVERED!
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 21:57:20 -0700
     The cops just called me to come pick up my 92 Honda Accord that was
stolen back on May 11th!  They caught two 15 year olds with it about 3
miles from my house and cornered them on a dead end street.  One took
off running and was caught a few blocks away.
     The car is a mess.  The ignition key is a Phillips head screwdriver
because there is no ignition switch.  There are dents all over the car
and the left rear fender is just about caved in.  The engine runs rough
and the front brakes are down to metal to metal.  The license plates are
gone (they put some Used Car lot paper plate and plastic frame in their
place).  The spare tire is gone as is everything in the glove box and
trunk.  They put about 2000 miles on it since it was stolen.  They must
have used it like a rented race car.
     I'd like to ask the insurance types on the list how to approach the
insurance company about this.  The insurance company was about to pay
this claim to the tune of $6300.00 any day now.  They were just waiting
for the California DMV to let them know how much registration year was
left on the plates so they could refund that too!
We don't want this car.  My wife had an attempted carjacking at gunpoint
a few years ago in it. The license plates were stolen in front of my
house last year and replaced with stolen plates. (I almost went to jail
on that one until I proved the car was mine, just the plates were not.)
Now the car is stolen and thrashed.  This is not a good luck car for
us.  How damaged does it have to be before they will buy the car and pay
off?  Will I have a choice?  I'll just choke if they say they are going
to fix it.
Mike MacLean Supercharged 60 Sprite
P.S. Here's the obligatory LBC content:  I could not get that 73 Midget
started today.  Fuel pump was pumping fuel.  She was getting spark and
turning over fine with the new battery.  It just got too hot in her
garage. (102F in the shade here)  Told her I would come back tomorrow
and try again.