Re: A terrible loss of a loved one!! Jul 2001 23:03:57 -0400

To: tspeed@carolina.rr.com (Thomas Speed)
Subject: Re: A terrible loss of a loved one!! Jul 2001 23:03:57 -0400
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 07:18:16 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi, Tom Speed-

That's some last name, Tom, for a Spridget driver!  Sounds more like you
ought to be driving a Corvette or at least,
a supercharged Spridget.

First, congratulations on surviving this
rather horrendous event.  I got hit by
a semi on the New England Thruway
a year and a half or so, ago.  Destroyed
my '67 Sprite; but after a couple of
360's (across all three lanes with cars
driving around me, no less), I impacted
the new "absorbing" center divider (these
things really work, I can tell you!) and
walked away.

Fortunately, the insurance settlement
(other guy's fault) allowed me to pull
the engine (including Judson super-
charger) 5-speed and the rest of the
driveline out of the crushed body AND
put me in a position to buy a restored
1961 Frogeye Sprite! Almost the same
car I began with back in '59 when I was
in high school.

I suggest you buy another vehicle and try
again instead of trying to resurrect the past, though I appreciate your
"feelings"
for your lost Spridget. I lost two MGA's
due to accidents in the early 60's after
I traded "up" from my original Frogeye,
and each one was a "heartbreaker" to
be sure; both beautifully done and taken
care of, in each case.

Spridgets are unibody.  A good solid
hit can "bend" them "underneath" pretty
good.  Getting the "geometry" back is
usually pretty difficult and not inexpensive. Tires never again wear
correctly, etc., etc.

I agree with Phil Vanner's prior message;
collect the insurance and buy Kirsten's
Spridget, or something like it. She is reluctantly giving up her her
beloved
Spridget and is looking for a good home for it; obviously, you qualify!

Incidentally, congratulations on "keeping
your head" immediately after the event and not doing something you might
regret
later on.  Great "self control" for a 16 year
old who's just lost his beloved pride and
joy he's worked so hard to put together due to a speeding idiot!

Somebody bought you up right for sure,
in terms of thinking before you act in
terms of consequences, even under
obviously stressfull circumstances.
Sounds like you've got great parents
(ok, I know, they're not perfect like we
think they should be, 'cause they are
raising us, not somebody else's kids!).

Way to go, Thomas Speed...things will
work out for you in this matter. What is
destroyed is usually replaced by some-
thing better, in time.  Think it through
in the "long run"; you will do what is
best.  It'll be OK and so will you!

Capt. Bob
  ' 61:{)