Re: Sticky shifter

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sticky shifter
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 00:05:16 +0100
David,
My ribcase stuck in 1st, twice!
  Both times the only way was to pull the engine and gearbox and part
dismantle. Bit of a troublesome way to change gear!

The cause was the selector fork, being worn, and moving the gear
cluster too far on the splines so that my spring loaded balls popped
out ('scuse me!) and prevented the gear from being pulled back over
them.

The fix was to put a shim washer onto the selector fork shaft to limit
how far it would travel.  Only problem was that on the first attempt
the shim that I used was too thin.  Second time got it right and it
has been good for 3000miles over the last 4 months.

Guy