Re: Repairing a cracked exhaust manifold

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Repairing a cracked exhaust manifold
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 03:18:37 +0100
Thanks all, for your advice on repairing cracked manifold.
I was removing the head to replace with another wih new valve
seats/valves/reworked chambers etc, when I found that the mounting lug
off the front of the manifold has broken off into three small pieces.
It has clearly been broken at some time before in its lifetime, and
re-welded.
The weld had not penetrated very well which is why it has broken
again. It is also in a stress area where it bolts up, which dosn't
help and it is probably even beyond the wonders of bondo and duck
tape!

Was hoping to be back on the road with it on Saturday, but looks like
I shall have to go hunting for a replacement.  None in any of the
breakers' yards round here - they are generally getting too rare for
that these days!

Guy