Broken Lug

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Broken Lug
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 13:08:06 EDT
OK guys, first off, I drove the car all of five miles back home. I am really
not so stupid to driving it. I did undo my good lug nuts, and actually have
the wheel blocked up. I plan on having the wheel rebalanced, just to make
sure it still runs true. In retrospect I should have had the car towed home,
but that is history now.
This was supposed to be a New York State Inspection, where one front wheel is
pulled off to check the brake shoes. I really wasn't taking the car in for
any work.
The shop is Speed's Garage, in Mellenville, NY, which is just outside of
Philmont, NY (the birthplace of Ollie North) If you never heard of these
places you are forgiven. It is a classic dusty and rusty garage. It also
happens to be on the way to golf club, which is why I dropped the Bugeye off
for inspection.
I think the job qualifications here is that your last name is Speed. These
guys do run a fairly mean Chevy at the dirt track in Lebanon Valley. (third
in Mr. Dirt Cup last year). So they are used to breaking and fixing stuff.
Skip Speed did offer to fix what he had done. He showed me the new metric lug
and nut he picked up at Napa. I told him the car wasn't metric, but he
assured me that all foreign cars were. No sense trying to win that argument.
Anyway all I want to do is replace the lugs and thanks for the part number.
This did not appear in my Moss (SPM-12) catalog nor my Vicky Brits (SM.36)
David Oliner
60 Bugeye
67 TR 4A

PS I had my beast of a Triumph inspected at Speed's without incident.