Re: questions for the bodywork gurus

To: cbking@mail.alum.rpi.edu, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: questions for the bodywork gurus
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 06:38:28 EDT
In a message dated 7/15/2001 3:14:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
cbking@mail.alum.rpi.edu writes:

> With the new floors in place, there's a gap between them, about 3 inches,
> right where the centre part of the underside of the trans tunnel is. Anyone
> have any reccommendations on what to leave behind there? I'm guessing I
> should leave the floors in place under the trans tunnel for strength. The
> one complication is that there's a bit of rust on the right side of the
> trans tunnel itself, where the seam is gone and the fllor is rusted
> through. Obviously it needs a patch too. Any tips from someone who has BTDT?
>
> For patching up little spots, what gauge sheetmetal should I use?

I removed the entire floor and welded inthe new floors.  I havenot done so
yet, but I plan to cut a new piece of 16 guage sheet metal to complete the
floor by filling in the gap in the center.  I am not sure they made them so
that they do  not meet in the center.  But I do plan to leave a small "door"
right under the tranny/driveshaft link to make it easier to fit them together
in Engine/tranny pulls/replacements.  Will probably fashion a cover to close
it up with sheet metal screws.  Haven't done that yet.

As far as guage is concerned, I attended a tech session by a restorer at
Conclave in Indy last summer, and he recommended replacing metal with 16
guage.  That is what I have been using.  Any other listers have thoughts on
this?

--David C.