Re: Judson Experience EDT

To: DLancer7676@cs.com
Subject: Re: Judson Experience EDT
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 08:44:48 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: WEricars@aol.com, SDOliner@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
I dunno yet, Dave! Rivergate is just
completing the engine as we speak
hooked up to one of their "new" 5 spds.

They get both engine and gearbox cores
back when we "transplant", hopefully by
end of July.  I am looking at the blower
sitting in it's box in my living room!
(Thought I'd be sleeping with it, eh!?)

But I've done my homework based on my
initial experience with my old stock 67's
1275, along with the 50 year experience
of other Judson users.  There is little doubt in my mind that the
Judson's best
friend will be Dean Hedin's water injection
set-up along with proper gearing for the
1275 specific application because as
"WEricars" pointed out, the Sprite's Judson was built for the 948cc
engine
and it IS "small" for the 1275.

Yet, with 4psi on tap with the "standard"
diameter "wheels", a 1275 is pretty quick;
with a "smaller" blower wheel giving
the 6psi boost curve of the 948, the
machine accelerates very rapidly, indeed!

Of course, now we are overdriving the blower so the engine/driveline
gearing
must be spec'd accordingly out of respect
for this fact. "Everything" has to happen
below 5,000 engine rpm; so the engine
does not have to be "built" for high rpm
(and a rev-limiter "insures" this)

Now, the engine will be built with total
seal ring(s). So I might just find that with
such a build, 4psi makes a much greater
"impact" on torque than on my old 60k
stock 1275 to the extent I won't go to
the smaller blower pulley at all; 4psi
may be "enough". We'll see.

As to "sound", the RC40 rear box can
handle 130hp+ flow-wise, yet is designed
to remove the "high" frequency sound of
the normal Sprite "signature". It sounds
more like an Austin-Healey 6 than a
a Sprite. Very "throaty growl" without
the traditional "scream". In this respect
it is quite unobtrusive and "user friendly";
won't needlessly attract attention from
all concerned, most especially the
gendarmes! Excess noise does not
go over any more in our area and the
tickets are expensive; no more $25.00
fine. More like $100+ and a $75.00 "fee"
for the police having to stop you "needlessly" as they say!

It sounds great on my current stock
1098 "mouse motor" currently powering
my Frog but it isn't "noisey" and shouldn't
be on the 1275 either.

We'll have to see how this all comes out
but my bet is it will go pretty well, once
broken in on the SU's. And the engine
cost's no more to build than a stock
motor with the new aluminum head
because high rpm is not a factor, as it
is on a "tuned" normally aspirated motor
which has to be turned faster to get same
or better "power" increase over stock.

The supercharged motor won't have
to be "thrashed" to go very well indeed!
That's the intended beauty of my specific
build. It's all going to "happen" in low
and mid-range!

Cap'n. Bob
    '61 :{)