Re: Timing Cover gasket refit: permatex or grease?

To: chuckc@attglobal.net
Subject: Re: Timing Cover gasket refit: permatex or grease?
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 12:24:52 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
On Fri, 20 Jul 2001 12:45:57 -0400 chuck <chuckc@attglobal.net> writes:
> Haynes sez to lubricate the timing cover gasket before
> reinstalling. I'm wondering whether I might be better
> using Permatex (2B) on the cover side and grease on the
> engine side of the gasket.
>
> What's best here?

Hylomar.  Available at your local Jaguar dealer.  Doesn't set up like
silicone.

There's also a Permatex version of it available at your local auto parts
store, see
http://www.permatex.com/auto/autouh.asp?f_call=get_item&item_no=25249.
Supposedly not as good as the "real" British stuff, but I don't know why.

Moss sells both versions, but you have to order under the Jaguar part
number GGC102 to get the British version.

David Littlefield
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD
'74 MG Midget vintage racer